Sunday, January 23, 2011

Becoming Uncomfortable......

Justin and I came to Bellevue just as the church was about to start reading the NIV Chronological Bible together. I have to tell you, it was one of the aspects about Bellevue that has excited me the most. Not only is the church reading the Bible together, but everything that is happening is surrounding this reading. Brother Steve, the pastor, is preaching from a segment of the previous week's reading, life groups, or small groups, are doing inductive Bible studies, and journals are provided for individual daily journaling. I have been so, so blessed the last two Sundays as the word of God is preached from what I have read in the last week. What a blessing to know a body of believers are all on the same page gleaning different truths from the Bible. There is an excitement in the room and a truly anointed time of encouragement and worship.

Today's message was about Learning to Listen to God's Voice, and it couldn't have been more appropriate for the season of life we are in. In Genesis, Abram is called by God to go to Canaan- to leave everything he knew and loved and enter the place God had called him to. Abram listened to God and because of this, he was blessed. It was a great reminder of how to listen for God's prompting in our lives and the consequences of not being in tune to what the Lord is saying. Brother Steve said something today, and it really hit me upside the head. He said that God is not concerned with making us comfortable in life; His concern is that we are in His will and furthering the kingdom.

Just yesterday I was having a nice little pity party for myself- how I missed our family, our friends, how I missed just knowing people when I walk into a place. It was a pretty good pity party if I do say so myself. Oh, how I was put in my place today-- in a good way :). I am so grateful that God speaks through pastors to illuminate truths that I so often overlook.

Genesis 12:1-3 "The Lord had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and to to the land I will show you. 'I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.'"



Justin and I do feel that God moved us to Bellevue and that we are being obedient in following His will, but it also made me realize that we have moved 5 hours south of where we're from. We still have a great place to live, safety, warmth...you get the point. Last week we had missionaries from Turkey who came to speak at the college and singles ministry who are risking everything to spread the gospel. I am still comfortable; they are not. I have my safety and freedom; they do not. I have been challenged and broken about what we're going to do to become uncomfortable for the gospel. Scary and exciting. Who am I going to bless with the blessings that God has given me? My head is swimming, and I am beyond ready to see all the great things God is going to do in the Year of the Bible!

3 comments:

  1. Loved this post Erin! Sounds like a fantastic journey you are about to embark on with your fam & the Lord. Love you much xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Erin! I'm at the same place. So glad you & Justin are here! I'd love to hang out with you some time!
    -Anna White :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Anna! I would LOVE to hang out sometime. We are very glad to be here as well. Thanks for the encouragement:)

    ReplyDelete